Monday, December 15, 2008

Day 267 - Tis the Season

Tis the season to be SUPER busy! Between Luke's school, my commitments and Gracen's ballet, we've been hopping all around town. After sitting through a 80 second dance routine for Gracen on Sunday, I realized the entire week has been about the same. We get dressed, drive across town, find a parking place, fight the cold to get inside and then spend less than 60 seconds on the event we showed up to see.

Here are a few of those events.
Gracen's Preschool Program...



Seeing Santa at the Fort Campbell Christmas Party...

Gracen dancing at a retirement home...



Seeing our "official" Santa. They've sat on this Santa's lap for the last four years...

Here's a quick story telling what a mean mommy I am. Both kids are having issues with being thankful for what they have and thinking they will get whatever their hearts desire for Christmas. (Gracen fully trusts that Santa's elves will make a toy that does not exist just for her.... because "they can make anything".

Anyway, at the Christmas party on post this weekend, the Santa was giving away really nice toys to every child. I prepped the kids before sitting on his lap that no matter what toy they received, they needed to smile and thank Santa and his helpers. Well, I knew as soon as I saw Gracen's gift that she was not going to like it. Although, she was gracious and said thank you.

I was proud of her until we walked away and she got really upset. She told me she didn't play with her baby dolls at home and she wasn't going to play with this one. I told her she needed to be thankful that she got anything. When we got to our table, she proceeded to quietly without me able to hear tell everyone at our table the same thing.... she didn't like her toy and she wasn't going to play with it. (Thanks Claire for ratting her out! LOL!)

It wasn't until we were leaving the party that she really turned on the ugliness. With a pout on her face, she told me she didn't have fun at the party and didn't like her toy. She also threw in her new saying of "I hate my life". That was when I came up with my idea.

On the way home, I went a different direction. Luke, my human road map, was keenly aware of this. He started questioning me. I told them both I had something planned. While driving, I explained to Gracen I did not like her behavior at the party. I told her she was very lucky to have toys at home, warm clothes and a family that loved her.

I then pulled into the Salvation Army drop off area. Of course, Luke immediately realized what was going on. Gracen started to cry and tell me she liked her baby doll now. (It got rough at this point, but I didn't give in.) I made her take the doll and give it to the worker.

She cried like I haven't seen her cry in months. Luke almost started to cry. He begged me not to make her give it away. He told her he would share his Matchbox cars with her.

On the trip home with two very unhappy children in the backseat, I explained that now the baby would be loved by a little girl who really wanted a baby for Christmas.

So I was a very mean mommy this weekend and I'm sure I will be reminded of it in the coming months. But I do hope I made an impression. Yes, my kids will get everything they want for Christmas. Then even more for their birthdays next month. I just hope and pray they are thankful for it and realize they are blessed.

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Good for you! Breanna as well believes that Santa's elves will make her anything and everything her little heart desires. I have once again bought them too much stuff and they will get even more from relatives and I can guarantee that Breanna will be disappointed. We talked yesterday about it and how she needs to be thankful no matter what she does or doesn't get because some kids have nothing. She said she understood, but we'll see how it goes on Christmas morning!

Anonymous said...

I can only hope that when my kids do that, and they will, that I come up with an idea that good! That was awesome and good for you for following through!