Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Day 318 - I'm alive!

Yes, I'm alive and kicking. Its been a whirlwind of two weeks though. The contractor we were going to use completely bailed on us. To make matters worse, they weren't even considerate about it. They told me it wasn't worth their time to do our house and it would be at least six weeks before they could start. I was a mess for about 3 hours, but ended up making a few calls and things turned around dramatically.

A nice handyman from church came out and looked at the damage. He originally told me he couldn't start for another week and a half because he was going on vacation. But after we talked for a while, he switched up his schedule for the week and started the very next morning.

I also visited my carpet guys around the corner that have helped me so many times over the last four years. (They fought my builder for me when the builder refused to fix my subfloor correctly.) Anyway, I walked in the office and they immediately knew who I was. I was so relieved to be dealing with honest people I could trust. One of the guys followed me home and looked at my flooring and gave me an estimate. It was SO MUCH cheaper than what the original contractor was going to charge. And I knew I could trust them. So they replaced all of my carpeting the very next day! I do have to say, when I walked into their office, I had been crying... really hard. I know I looked pitiful and I'm sure that helped my cause.

So the construction part of my house has been complete for about a week and a half. As soon as I started to paint, I became violently ill. Thankfully, the kids were home from school because of snow days. I don't know what I would have done if Luke had not been here to help me. Then to make matters worse, I was vomiting so hard, I threw out my back. So that took another two days to heal. All while paint rollers and buckets were open and waiting for me to finish the job I started days before.

The kids have been amazing. Both have been huge helpers and played so well together these past few weeks. They really keep each other entertained.

Luke had his birthday on the 24th of January. The handyman was here that whole day, but he had a friend spend the night the night before and loved having the whole Saturday to play with him. Even better, Gracen spent the night with the friends sister, so it was boys only!

It has been freezing here in Tennessee. I sent Luke out this morning to the bus stop without gloves on and he came back about 5 minutes later screaming. I let him in the front door and he ran around with his hands over his head yelling that he needed hot water. I finally got him controlled and able to put gloves on him and pushed him out the door just in time for the bus to pull up. I love the boy, but he exhausts me.

He's struggling in school more than ever. His behavior has been an issue this past month. I first wrote it off to all the stress here at home, but he continued to get notes home about his talking. On Monday, I told him if he came home again with a note, he would sit in his room the entire evening. I thought for sure it would be at least a week before he would have to do this. NEXT DAY he came home with a note! Of course, he wasn't talking. He never does anything wrong and I'm the "meanest mommy in the world". He did sit in his room. Well, right at the edge of his door.

I told Gracen she wasn't allowed in his room and he wasn't allowed out. So while I was making dinner and folding laundry, they sat on either side of his door frame. This is so funny to me because they play so well like this. When their playing is forbidden. Of course, I knew what they were doing, but they were enjoying each other and at one point Luke was reading to her, I just couldn't tell them to stop.

Here are some pictures from the last few weeks. I've been busy so haven't really had time to take alot of pictures, but do grab the camera when something cute catches my eye. The only problem is grabbing the camera before someone moves or the dogs have realized I left the room.

Gracen had pajama day at school. She had to wear her High School Musical PJs. That morning she gathered up her PJs, her Disney Princess beach towel and had me change her pillow case to the one with Cinderella on it. I told her she could pick one stuffed animal she could take with her. I thought for sure she would pick one of her princess ones. But nope, she didn't hesitate one bit and grabbed this one...

Luke's birthday with his friend Chandler. These boys have so much in common and play wonderfully.

A picture of our new bathroom cabinet with granite countertop. Yes, there is a huge hole in the wall. The medicine cabinet was broken when he pulled it out of the box and we had to wait for the store to get more in.


This is how I found Gracie yesterday morning watching TV. Jack heard the camera flash and lifted his head. They were both quite comfortable.

And this was this morning. Jack obviously loves cuddling with the girl.



Ella's expanding figure. Jack lets her graze on his food before he starts.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Just reading your blog exhausts me!:) I hope that everything settles down now that the house is getting under control and you are feeling better. I sure wish I was closer so I could help you out..of course I wouldn't be coming around if you had the stomach flu anyway:) Hang in there girl!