Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 115

Today started off badly. I promised the kids we would go see a movie this afternoon if they finished all of their chores. Literally from 9:30 until 11am, I warned them they better do their chores if they wanted to go. I'll admit, I was doing other things at the time so I wasn't on them to finish like I should have been. The funny thing was they spent more time arguing, whining and fighting about who was going to pick up and carry what than they did actually cleaning.

Before I woke up this morning, they took ALL of their pillows upstairs. One of their chores was to clean the upstairs. So they needed to pick up all the pillows. I timed it.... They spent almost 15 minutes fighting about who carried what pillow up the stairs and had to carry it back down. I was going nuts!!!!

My mom called around 11am and talked to Luke. When I got back on the phone with her, she explained to me what I couldn't see for myself. She said Luke clearly was in no rush to do his chores because he knew the movie started at 12:45. He told her he had enough time to do them and that they would get done by time to go. This, of course, was not my plan, but in his little head that made sense. So I set the timer for 30 minutes and told him they better be finished by then or we would not go.

(Did I tell you that I really wanted to see this movie? So, sadly, I was giving them way too much slack!)

Anyway, little man immediately started running around doing his chores. He was going so fast, he spilled Ella dog food all over the kitchen floor. And this is totally a boy thing, but at first it didn't even phase him. He filled the food bowl and kept on going. When I walked into the kitchen I was shocked at the mess. He was stepping all over the food while he emptied the dishwasher!!!

I don't know why I was surprised, but I told him he had to clean the dog food up. Oh my did he go ballistic! He was so upset he had to pick up the mess. Oh well! I told him if he had finished his chores earlier without the timer, he wouldn't be in a hurry.

So he and Gracen both completed their chores amazingly in record time. (Love that timer!) We ran an errand and then made it to the movies with time to spare. YAY!


We saw the 3D movie Journey to the Center of the Earth. Wonderful movie! It was fast paced, funny and not too scary for Gracen. I did cover her eyes a couple of times, but the movie gave me plenty of warning to do it. Thankfully, nothing jumped out at you and scared you to death.... or will cause nightmares for my children!

The 3D part was really awesome! I found myself jumping and dodging at several parts. I had to laugh out loud when I looked over and Gracen was sitting on the edge of her seat with her arm stretched out in front of her like she was trying to touch the birds on the screen. We all enjoyed it!

Here they are waiting for the movie to start. Those glasses were so incredibly dorky looking!

No comments: