We spent the day over at Wendy's house. All the kids played outside while we talked. Around early afternoon, Gracie runs in to tell me they found a baby bird. She said Bubby was trying to find the nest it fell out of. I told her to make sure the boys didn't touch it. She turned around and ran back outside.
For the next two hours, the kids ran in and out playing. Around 4pm, I told the kids it was time to go. Luke immediately ran out to the truck. (He loves Ty's house so this was weird, but I had promised Sonic slushies on our way home so I credited his cooperation with that.) When I stood talking, he came back in and asked for the keys so he could go ahead get in and buckle his seatbelt. Again, strange, but whatever.
We drove through Sonic and continued home. When I pulled into the driveway, Luke jumped out of the car. While I checked the mail, he yelled, "Mom! Look what I found!" I walked over to the other side of the driveway and there layed a baby bird. Luke quickly explained he found it under the wheel of Daddy's Jeep and moved it to the grass in case "Daddy surprised us and came home and drove his Jeep."
This all happened really fast and my first thought was "What tree did this baby bird fall out of and how did it get all the way to our driveway?" Then I thought "What are the chances of this boy finding TWO baby birds in one day?" And "Why in the world is he talking about Scott surprising us?" Finally, it all made sense...... He brought the first bird home!
Thankfully, he owned up to it really fast. He pleaded with me that we had to take care of it. All the while I'm thinking, "What am I going to do with this bird when it dies? Because it will die!"
I went into the garage and got a box, made a nest out of a lunch paper bag and ran upstairs to google "how to care for a baby bird". The first thing I found was that it was impossible to feed baby birds. They have to eat every 15 to 20 minutes. *NO THANK YOU!* Then it said if you find a baby bird and put it back into the nest, the mother will continue to take care of it. *THANK YOU GOD!*
So I put the box and my step stool into the back of the truck and we drive back to Wendy's house. Thankfully, the nest was where I could reach it and the mother bird didn't attack me. I placed the baby bird back into the nest where it belonged with two other baby birds.
After doing my good deed for the day, the kids and I went to the gym. On the way home from the gym, Luke asked another one of his deep, random questions...
Luke: Why is it bad if I stick up my middle finger?
Me: Why? Did someone do it to you? (He was in the Kid's Club at the gym playing with several boys his age.)
Luke: No. I just want to know. Why is it so bad?
Me: Its an ugly thing to do. You are not allowed to do it.
Luke: But what does it mean?
Me: Well, you know how doing this *making the hand sign for I LOVE YOU* means that you love a person? Well, sticking your middle finger up at someone means you feel something bad for that person.
Luke: But what is the something bad? Just tell me!
Me: Its a bad word and not something even I can say.
Luke: Oh! Okay.
Me: *whew!*
Friday, July 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment