Friday, August 8, 2008

Day 138 - 1st Day of 2nd Grade

Boy was it hard to wake up this morning! I didn't sleep at all last night. One, I was working on this silly blog background and two, I was worried I wouldn't wake up this morning. But we made it to school and I was so relieved. Gracen's hair wasn't entirely brushed like I would have liked it, but oh well.



We got to Luke's classroom and he was immediately disappointed. He only knew one little boy in his class. He was upset because none of the three boys he had hoped would be in his class were there. I think he was a combination of being overwhelmed and unhappy.


As soon as the teacher (whom I LOVE!) started talking to the kids, Luke changed his attitude. She really talked to them like adults and made the year sound like it was going to be fun. She asked who liked to read and everyone, but one other little boy and Luke raised his hand. She told them by the time the year was over she hoped they would like to read as well. (Please Lord, let that come true!) Another thing that caught Luke's attention was she told the class they had 179 days left of school. Well, we are big about counting days in the house, so he was pulled in even more.

Funny story.... I stayed with Luke this morning in his classroom. The teacher handed out to all the kids large manila envelopes filled with paperwork for parents to fill out. She told the kids to pull out the papers so they could discuss each page.

Now picture 20 kids. Luke in the middle. The kids start pulling out their papers. Luke shoves his hand in the envelope and struggles to pull out the papers. He grabs half the papers and pulls them out. But he doesn't have a good hand on them and most of them fall to the floor. So up he goes to pick up his papers. All the other kids are sitting in their chairs with their stacks of neat papers on their desks.

Luke sits down and pulls the rest of the papers out of his envelope. As he brings them out, his arm hits the papers already on his desk and they fall to the floor again.

When he sits down this time, he has a pile of strewn papers on his desk. The teacher starts going page by page. Because Luke's are all messed up, he digs through looking for the one the teacher is discussing all while stuffing the other papers into the cubby in his desk.

I thought I was going to lose my mind watching this! I didn't know whether to get up and help him, sit there and silently combust or laugh. I actually ended up doing all three. I'm afraid I might have embarrassed him because I was across the room and had to walk to him.

It was a half day today so parents are able to take the kids home after the initial paperwork is handed out. I took the kids to breakfast at McDonald's to celebrate the first day. Then we went to Walmart to buy his school supplies.


Here's a picture from today of our sunflowers. They are looking a little tired lately. They are so weighed down. There is just the one standing up tall. It actually bloomed today. It think it is a good 2 feet taller than any of the other ones reached.


1 comment:

Jennie said...

I can't believe school has already started there! Love the new background. I was cracking up reading about Luke and his papers and I would have been going crazy watching that too!