Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 151

So much to say today!

Luke had a great day! He did amazing on his reading assessment. The owner of the tutoring place actually tested him and after the test, she immediately told me he was one smart 7 year old. She said he was funny, sarcastic and very bright. I sat and talked with her for about 20 minutes and I was amazed at how much she picked up from just sitting with Luke for 45 minutes.

He is behind, but she said he is doing wonderful on sounding out the words and his comprehension. She said it is only a matter of time that it will all click and he will start being more fluent in his reading.

She also suggested I let his teacher know how long it is taking to do homework at night. She said Luke is gets easily frustrated and has to know exactly how long something will last or how many more until he is finished. This is so true and why I am unable to run errands with Luke. He has to know exactly where we are going, in what order and I'm not allowed to veer off course. Just like his father, really.

Open House was also wonderful. We were the only one in the classroom for quite a while and I was able to talk one on one with the teacher for a good 15 minutes. LOVE HER!

She put my mind at ease about homework. She told me not to push Luke too hard to finish a project. She says she immediately noticed Luke gets very frustrated with himself if he is unable to do something. She does not want him to feel that way. (Me either!) We talked about what I should expect over the next few weeks and when to be concerned about his homework capacity. She said that the next few weeks she will be able to see more of where the kids are struggling and where they excel. She is going to keep me informed and updated on his progress and I will let her know how Luke is doing at home.

I have to say I sit here tonight and feel so much better about this year. I know I have people on Luke's side helping him to have a successful year. Teachers who are aware of his struggles and want to help his succeed. I don't feel alone.

Luke is amazing. I still can't believe they let us have him. I can't believe God let us have him. That He had a plan from the very beginning and although Scott and I went through hell and back, we ended up with the most amazing gift.... Luke.

We are headed out tomorrow for the weekend. I'm very excited about the next few days and hope the kids will have tons of fun! I got my camera back today (no charge for repairs! Thank you Canon!)so I'll have lots of pictures to share next week!

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Luke IS an amazing boy and gift and you DO deserve him! Love you!