I'm officially in deployment mode. Unfortunately, it took today's events to put me there.
After dropping Gracen off at school today and going to the gym, I got a call from Claire. She was talking in a code and I was so confused. She kept saying, "I need you to pick up Price today from preschool. I have something to do. Do you understand?" Only after she repeated it three times did I get it..... A family was about to be notified that their soldier was killed. My heart stopped and dropped to my stomach.
Claire was called for a care team today. A care team goes in after the spouse has been notified and assists her in whatever she needs until extended family arrives. When you get the call to be on a care team, you have no idea whose house you are going to. You only wait until a care team has been requested and directions to the house are given out.
You cannot tell anyone that you have been called or what you are doing. This is truly impossible if you have children. You cannot hand over your children to someone indefinitely or without an explanation. But the Army says that is how its to be done.
After Claire called this morning, I spent the next few hours praying that Scott was safe. Praying that whoever lost their life did not die on Scott's watch. Praying that my doorbell would not ring. Then as the hours passed, I started to wonder about the family whose world was just turned upside down. Praying for them and thanking God it wasn't us.
I hope we don't have many days during this deployment like today. But I will be ready next time. Hopefully, they will call me to be on the care team so I don't have to wonder what the following hours will hold for us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment