Saturday, May 24, 2008

Day 62

The last few days have been an eye opener. I realized I've failed Luke on so many levels. I need to spend more time with him and dig down deep for the patience to sit and help him learn in a peaceful environment.

Today the kids and I talked about what we hope for this summer. I've never been one for routines. I like to come and go when I feel like it. I like to jump on the computer when I get a creative inspiration. But this summer there will (hopefully) be some kind of routine in place. The kids have certain things that are expected of them everyday and I have to curb my whims to help them stay on task.

We have come up with a chore list. Also a wish list of what we want to accomplish during a week's time. Like reading a certain number of books. Spending alot less time in front of the TV. Doing activities together.

Luke told me today at breakfast that he spends to much time watching TV. (I think they got some kind of instruction about summer before school let out because he's been giving me alot of helpful tidbits the last few days. I got one on recycling this morning.) I agreed with him on the TV watching thing. We decided they will spend more time playing outside, playing games, reading and helping me around the house. I hope we can keep up with these things because I want to feel good about the time we spend this summer together. It will be hard doing this without Scott, but I'll pray for sanity and inspiration to keep them entertained and learning.

Gracie has been infatuated with babies lately. We had a whole discussion at the breakfast table this morning about the fact that Ella can no longer have babies. It went like this:

Gracen: I can't wait for Ella to grow up so she can have babies in her belly.
Luke: She can't have babies in her belly because the doctor cut her open and took out her stomach.
Gracen: *look of horror* WHAT?!?!
Me: Gracie, we had the doctors take out of Ella where the babies grow.
Gracen: Why? Andrew's dog grew up and had her own babies. Why can't Ella?
Me: Because sometimes its better for dogs not to have babies.
Luke: (in his infinite wisdom) We didn't want Ella to grow up and find a man and have babies.
Gracie: When me grow up big, I'm going to have babies.
(At least she left out the find a man part. I don't want her looking already!)

No comments: