Saturday, May 31, 2008

Days 66 to 68

Amy and I decided we took the perfect redneck vacation. We drove to Cave City, Kentucky and spent three days with the kids. Cave City is known for Dinosaur World and Mammoth Cave National Park. Its also known for Guntown Mountain, but we decided that was a little too much "redneck".

We got there around 3pm Wednesday and decided to go ahead and get in Dinosaur World. We were told the park would take about an hour to walk through. We made it in 20 minutes. William literally ran the whole thing. He LOVES dinosaurs and I just knew he was going to love the park. I had no idea he was going to be in sensory overdrive and bounce in fast forward through all the dinosaurs. I was ready to take some cool pictures of the kids with the dinosaurs, but none of them would slow down enough to look at the camera.

They did have a little park and we sat and enjoyed that until it was time for the fossil dig. The kids enjoyed the fossil dig and it took them longer to pick the 3 rocks they could keep than it did to go through the entire park.

We went to the local Mexican food restaurant that night where Amy and I enjoyed their 45 oz margaritas and daiquiris! No, we didn't drink it all in one sitting! We talked the waitress into putting them into to-go cups since we were walking to the hotel across the street.

The kids enjoyed the rest of the night in the hotel pool. Everyone was asleep that night by 10pm.... even the mommies!

First Days Activities...

Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

The next morning we went down for breakfast and then dressed to go to Kentucky Down Under. Yes, there is such a thing! I had to laugh when I saw the flyer. It is Kentucky's version of Australia.

We went on a 45 minute tour of an underground cave. It was us and one other family. My claustrophobia was in overdrive down in the cave. And it didn't help the other couple was extremely large and had a hard time fitting through some of the passthroughs. At one point, I walked through one pass and I was afraid I would get stuck. I literally stopped breathing at the thought of the two poor people behind me who were still trying to get up the steep stairwell.

The lady did end up getting stuck and our guide had to go help them. I still was not breathing! The poor father got stuck as well. His young daughter was yelling for the mom to come back and help, but the poor mom was too tired herself to help. Amy and I just stood there not knowing what to do. Thankfully, the man got free and the rest of the cave was wider.

After the cave, we saw the dingos and fed some birds. We then went to lunch at a local Italian food dive. The only other restaurant in Horse City was Subway!

I did have a little surprise while eating lunch. There were signed pictures of Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs on one of the walls in the little restaurant. He was in that exact town a few months earlier and ate many times at the place while he was filming a show. I'm a huge fan of Mike Rowe! Not so much for his acting ability as for his hunkiness! Amy was not impressed with the autographed pictures or that Mike Rowe had been standing in that exact same spot. I'm pretty sure she thought I was crazy! Oh well! Whatever gets me through a deployment! ;-)

After lunch, we returned to the park to see the rest of Kentucky Down Under. We saw a rabbit, goat, camel, a miniature horse, kangaroos and baby emus. The kids and Amy were able to pet some big lizards and a snake. I chose not to attend that session. We saw a snake at Dinosaur World in the bushes and I got light headed. I was not going to watch my kids pet a huge snake wrapped around someone! No thanks!

We left Kentucky Down Under by first stopping by the gift shop. Amy had promised the kids that whoever didn't whine, complain, cry or misbehave would get a 4 foot long gummy snake the kids were eyeing when we first got there. (YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!) Unfortunately, all minded and were able to get the prize. Of course, my son was the only one who actually chose the nasty green gummy snake. The other three decided on an ice cream bar from the gift shop freezer.

Kentucky Down Under....

Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Back at the hotel, we let the kids swim for an hour and then walked to Cracker Barrel for dinner. At dinner, we asked the waiter what there was to do in town hoping there was a movie theatre or mall close by we could walk around. NOPE! Movie theatre was 20 minutes away in another town and mall was 30 minutes. He did let us know that there was a Walmart just 15 minutes down the road. WooHoo!

Although Walmart would have made our redneck vacation even more exciting, we chose the local McDonalds for one notch up on the entertainment scale to take the kids for dessert and outdoor fun. And just to get them even more tired, we let them swim until 8:30. They were wiped when we got back to the rooms. Gracen and Luke didn't move or make a sound the whole night! It was wonderful sleep!

The next morning, we slept through the hotels breakfast and ended up going back to Cracker Barrel. It was either that or MickeyD's. The kids and I left there and arrived back home around 1:30 Friday afternoon. I've been doing tshirt stuff since we walked into the door!

It was a fun couple of days! We really enjoyed hanging out with the Zemps!

No comments: